Monday, October 18, 2010

Pumpkin Challenge: White Bean and Turkey Stew in Pumpkin Bowls

Stew in Pumpkin Bowls garnished with Bay Leaves

 This is the first pumpkin dish that I made for my family this past weekend! It consisted of white bean and turkey stew in pumpkin bowls. Whoa! This dish was truly an adventure to make because...:

  1. It was my first time buying pumpkins at the store. 
  2. It was my first time cutting out the tops and removing the seeds.
  3. It was my first time eating a pumpkin dish that was not pumpkin pie. 
I found this recipe at the Martha Steward website and I changed it a bit to make it my own. I substituted the sausage for turkey (I love the taste, smell, and texture of turkey - plus it's healthier!) and I didn't include the leeks nor the mushrooms. Ever since pregnancy # 1, I tend to keep mushrooms out of my meals. Used to be my favorite, though. Things change. 

This recipe calls for baking the pumpkins THREE times. You read that right, exactly three times and for different purposes. 
1st time - to bake the tops and right side of the pumpkins
2nd time - to bake the bottom of the pumpkin
3rd time - to bake the pumpkin WITH the stew. 

This is where the stew gets a really 'pumpkinny' flavor. The pumpkin is so soft and tender by now that its flavor permeates the stew. It is very tasty. And it makes for a very comforting, 'fallzy' flavor.  

In addition, when running out of the pumpkins, the stew mixes real well with rice and pasta. 



Pumpkin bowl covered - keeps the stew very hot! 

Filled Pumpkin



Stew in Pumpkin Bowls garnished with Bay Leaves

Come back next week for another Pumpkin dish!

~ Happy Pumpkin Cooking ~






8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for stopping by My Life as Mom and Wife! I am following you back. I hope you continue to enjoy my blog.

    Have a wonderful day!
    Crystal
    kennedymomandwife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very interesting... thinking we might need to travel down to the pumpkin patch again and get some pumpkins. We have a place right down the street that has pumpkins, a pumpkin patch, and all of it is only a dollar for a small pumpkin... so... I may have to try this recipe. Thanks for posting it!

    Following you from creativeaccentsandaccessories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. so creative! and looks yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really creative~ Thanks for stopping by the Cornucopia of Blogs Hop. I am now following you back.

    Mellisa
    www.funsavingmoney.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great presentation! It looks so pretty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what an amazing dish!

    Thanks so much for stopping by, I'm following you now as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for stopping by, I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my gosh, this is fantastic! i love how festive it looks, and i'm sure the soup was yummy! i would be wait to scared to actually try this, lol. i was looking at your "about" info-how great to raise your kids bilingual. i wish we all learned another language as a child, so we could absorb it easier.

    so glad you stopped by the cape on the corner, and thanks so much for your comment! i really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

lifewiththechambs.blogspot.com