xThe first recipe in our blog features one of the easiest meals one could make and most definitely a family favorite. The reason? This food is typical of Chile (in South America) where both my husband and I grew up. There are many cafes, restaurants, street kiosks where you can get a completo. Even McDonald's makes it down there.
- hot dog bun
- hot dog
*Note: the ingredients have been listed in the order we make them at home.
Ways to get the most of your completo:
- Eat it with a very cold Coca-Cola
- Heat the bun in the oven (not the microwave). Ideally, the bun will be warm and toasty. It helps bring the full flavor of the bread and the other ingredients.
- Use fresh tomatoes - there is nothing like enjoying fresh vegetables!
- Have as many napkins or dish towels available to clean your hands as you eat.
- Be ready to eat more than one!
- Pre-heat the oven - I usually set it at 200 degrees while I get everything else ready.
- Prepare the hot dogs as desired (boiled or fried)
- Mash your avocado with a fork, add some oil and salt.
- Dice your tomatoes into small squares. It makes them look so pretty afterwards!
- Heat the buns for about 5-7 minutes. You want them to be toasty, not burnt.
You may be skeptical about this recipe, but I can guarantee you will like it :) All of our friends here in the States who have tried this dish have asked us to make it for them in multiple occasions.
I invite you to leave your comments and impressions of this dish!
|Homemade Completo with Sauerkraut|